Sunday, January 11, 2009

Celebrating Daddy's 83rd Birthday

Every little girl idolizes her daddy, at 52 I continue to idolize mine. Yesterday he turned 83 years young. He was born 3 years before the great depression swept our country. Daddy was born of hard working mountain stock. My grandfather was a logger and worked hard during the depression to make sure his family was provided for. My grandmother raised a garden big enough to feed her family. Surely these difficult times shaped the man who was to become my Daddy. Working hard came natural to him. After working 40 years at one company Daddy retired in 1984. Retirement is surely a state of mind, because slowing down hasn't been part of his retirement. He is healthy, active and is still one of the two smartest men I have ever met.

So, tonight our family celebrated the birthday of the man who in his own quiet yet strong way has selflessly loved and taken care of each one of us.

On our table tonight........

Maple Roasted Pork Tenderloin

Scallops Scampi (for the two that don't eat pork)

Butter Beans

Rice and Mushroom Pilaf

Mixed Green Salad with Cranberries and Goat Cheese

Parker House Rolls

Peggy's Butterscotch Pie*

Sweet Tea with a hint of Bergamont

Pomegranate Tea

My Mother's best friend, Peggy, made this pie often, it has always been one of our favorites.

Peggy's Butterscotch Pie

1 cup light brown sugar

1 1/2 cup evaporated milk

4 Tbsp. butter

3 Tbsp. cornstarch

3 egg yolks

1 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine brown sugar, milk, butter and cornstarch in a heavy sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until it reaches a boil. Remove from heat. Stir 1/2 cup of the hot mixture to the egg yolks, then add back to the brown sugar and cream mixture. Continue cooking, being sure to keep stirring until it return to a boil. Stir in vanilla.
Pour into a pre-baked pie crust.
Top with whipped cream or a meringue make from the reserved egg whites.

Until tomorrow...........

S~~

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Daddy is as wonderful and smart a father as ever lived.
    I would also submit my sister and her always extraordinary meals, seasoned as much with love as with Kosher cooking salt or fresh ground pepper, have been equally essential to a family I appreciate more every day.
    (I know. I know. I almost gagged writing words so cheesy but they’re true)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Susan! I really love reading your blog...I've even tried some of your recipes!!!! That's major for me!!!
    January 10th was my Daddy's birthday! He also turned 83! How lucky we are to still have them with us,that they're still going strong, and that we're still enjoying them in our life. Thanks again for the recipes and fun stories...Talk to you soon! Lynne Watts

    ReplyDelete