Monday, February 23, 2009

Spring Fever and February Birthdays

I have spring fever in a big way. Even an unseasonably warm day would be welcome. I anxiously await the the first day of spring, March 20th. I promise no matter how hot it gets this summer you will NEVER hear me complain about the heat, just bring it on, baby.
OK, enough for my daily cold weather rant.

Some of the most important people in my life were born in February. I have already mentioned my Mother's birthday would have been on the 2nd. Our nephew, Ryan, was born on the 17th. My best friend in the world, Jan, was born on the 22nd. My cousin, Brently, was born on the 23rd. So, even though February is the coldest month, it warms my heart when I remember these very special people on their birthdays.

Have you noticed that I added labels to the right side of the page? I am hoping to make it easier for everyone to locate the recipes. I will eventually streamline it a bit so that it doesn't become cumbersome, but for now I hope it saves you some time.

With today being a true Monday, supper had to be easy.

Hot Dogs (has to be Hebrew National)
Cole Slaw
Aiken Pool Hall Chili*
Ranch Flavored Potato Wedges
Toasted Rolls

I love homemade chili. Aiken Pool Hall Chili recipe has been around for ages. I'm not even sure there is an Aiken Pool Hall in South Carolina anymore, but at one time the chili dogs were supposedly famous. I usually double the recipe and freeze it in small containers.

Aiken Pool Hall Chili

1 lb. ground chuck
1/2 cup cold water
2 large onions - diced
4 Tbsp. prepared yellow mustard
3 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tsp.chili powder
1 cup catsup
1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 cup additional water

Place ground beef and onions in a 3 quart sauce pan add 1/2 cup cold water and stir well. Cook over medium high heat until beef is brown and water has evaporated.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer 45 minutes.

So, until tomorrow..............
S~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment