Monday, August 17, 2009

A Late Supper For Us

After fluffing off supper last night with a frozen pizza (Ronnie bet I wouldn't blog about that), I thought I should maybe redeem myself tonight.
I had seven beautiful red and yellow sweet peppers from our garden that I didn't want to waste, so I thought of stuffed sweet peppers. It has been years since I made these so I went in search for a recipe. I found multitudes that were not exactly what I was looking for, so, I used the closest one and added what I thought to be the missing ingredients. The best thing is I was reading that they freeze well, so I made a few extra for the freezer.
The problem that I have is that I made the rookie mistake of not reading the recipe all the way through. Cook time is 90 minutes plus an additional 15 uncovered. I am using convection which hopefully will speed up cooking time a bit. Keep in mind I got home at 6:10, saw Ronnie and the "babies" for a few minutes, changed into my play clothes and got in the kitchen at 6:40. I think the peppers will be done somewhere around 9:30. Now, don't get me wrong, we are accustomed to a late supper just not 9:30.
So at some point tonight supper will look like this:
Stuffed Sweet Peppers*
Creamy Rice
Lima Beans
Sugar Glazed Carrots
Stuffed Sweet Peppers

4 sweet bell peppers - halved- seeds and ribs removed
1 lb. ground chuck
1 - cup cooked rice
1- sweet pepper - diced
1- onion - diced
2 - garlic cloves minced
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. Worcestershire
1 Tbsp. pepper
1 egg - beaten
1/8 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/8 cup Parmesan cheese

plain spaghetti sauce (jarred or homemade)
sharp cheddar cheese -shredded
Preheat your oven to 375*F.

In a large bowl combine ground chuck, rice, minced sweet pepper, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, chili powder, celery salt, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, egg, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup - measure out a 1/2 cup meat mixture for each halved pepper and fill.

Place peppers in a baking dish and cover with your favorite jarred or homemade spaghetti sauce (about 1 cup per pepper half).

Cover and cook 90 minutes. Remove from oven and uncover. Sprinkle shredded sharp over top of peppers and return to oven uncovered an 15 additional minutes.
So, until tomorrow...........
S~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment