Thursday, October 1, 2009

Changing Seasons - Changing Menus

It is really true, even though I don't want to accept it, summer is gone. Yes, I know we will have a few of those fake summer days that are known as Indian Summer, but those days of glorious summer heat are over. These last few nights and mornings with the very cool temps just make me want to hibernate, you know, like Yogi.
My cooking style, just like my clothes, changes with the seasons. I use my slow cooker much more in the fall and winter too.

I am probably in the minority here, but until today I have never fixed beef short ribs. In fact, I had never actually paid them any attention at all. When Lacy moved up north she discovered that short ribs were actually very good. She raved about some that her friend Liz had made for supper one night. So, when I was grocery shopping I came across boneless beef short ribs and decided to give them a try. They are just now going in the slow cooker so I will pop back on later to let you know how they were.

Supper tonight is:

Slow Cooked Beef Short Ribs*
Creamed Potatoes
Roasted Broccoli w/Shaved Parmesan
Beet Salad

Slow Cooked Beef Short Ribs

2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 lbs. beef short ribs (boneless or not, your choice)
2 tbsp. butter

2 tbsp. vegetable or olive oil
2 onions, sliced
1 can beef consomme
1 - 6 oz. can tomato paste
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. chili powder
12 oz. dark beer (or whatever beer)


Mix flour, salt & pepper in a zip lock bag. Shake ribs in seasoned flour.
In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat and brown the short ribs on all sides.
In a crock pot, combine onions, beef consomme, tomato paste, brown sugar, Worcestershire, dry mustard & chili powder and beer. Add ribs to the mixture.
Cover & cook on low for 8-9 hours.


So, until tomorrow...............
S~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment