Saturday, February 6, 2010

Once A Month Cooking

Ronnie had to work today so I had a bit more time to piddle in the kitchen. I cleaned out my freezer and did some chores I had been putting off for a while. I found myself throwing away money from my freezer. I had let it get so full that I had forgotten what I had. That said,
I have a bit on an interest in the popular Once a Month Cooking method (OAMC).
I love to cook, but I hate to spend all night in the kitchen after working all day. Especially now that Lost and American Idol are back on. While the OAMC concept appeals to me, I also don't want to use an entire Saturday cooking and freezing portions. So, I asked my sweet sister in law, Karen, if she would be willing to take a vacation day off work and we could cook double batches all day and have plenty for both families meals for a month. So, we plan to take a leave day and cook sometime this month.
I have been researching OAMC recipes and have found some that I know would work well for us. I just need to make sure I have the proper type containers available. Any hint of freezer burn and it goes in the garbage here.

So, it you have any recipes for OAMC or suggestions for storage please, please share. I will let you know how our "cooking day" goes. Just to get you thinking along OAMC lines I am posting on of the recipes Karen and I will be making.

Zesty Pineapple Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breast
2 Tbsp. melted butter
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Zesty Pineapple Glaze:
1 medium can pineapple tidbits
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp. prepared mustard
1 tsp. soy sauce

Preheat oven to 375F. Place chicken breast in freezer safe container. Brush each piece of chicken with melted butter, then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Make glaze. Pour glaze over chicken. Freeze.
Remove chicken from freezer and place in refrigerator the day before to thaw.
On cooking day, bake in preheated 375* for 50-60 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and glaze is dark brown.

So, until tomorrow..........

S~~~



No comments:

Post a Comment