Monday, June 7, 2010

Are You a List Maker?

I am. I love the satisfaction of crossing things off my to-do list(s). Even though I am a "gadget girl" with a Blackberry, a Droid and a laptop in almost every room, all fully equipped with programs prepared to manage my entire life three times over, I still have a paper list and a pen handy everywhere. I set electronic reminders for work and personal, and yes, you get that small sense of completion when you click the completed tab, but it just isn't the same.

My Mother never made a grocery list while I cannot shop without one. I walk out of the grocery store with a buggy full of "stuff" and not one single item that I need. My real treasure is to find a buggy in the store where someone has left their shopping list behind. I love to see what other people put on their lists. Another weird habit I have is looking to see what other people are buying. I hate to get in a line where there is no wait, I want to see what the people in front of me are buying. I know, maybe I should get a life.

I am a creature of habit. I find comfort in doing the same things at the same time every week. On the weekend I make my menu for the week and then create my shopping list from there.
One really neat feature with the smartphones and one I truly love even though it does not involve pen and paper is sending my list to my phone and clicking to cross off items as I put them in the buggy. No more having to keep up with a pen and paper in the store.

Supper last night was another casualty of this stormy weather pattern we are under right now. Once again I had planned to grill out but the rain came at the wrong time. So, we just stayed in.
Same meal just done in the oven.

Dry Rub BBQ Chicken*
Fresh Creamed Corn
Sauteed Green Beans
Roasted Red Potatoes

Dry Rub BBQ Chicken

3 - boneless skinless chicken breasts
olive oil
juice of 1 lemon

3 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. granulated dried garlic (or garlic powder)
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)

Cut chicken into strips (3-4 per breast, depending on size). Coat heavy pan with olive oil. Place chicken in pan and sprinkle with additional olive oil and lemon juice.
Combine dry rub and sprinkle 1/2 over the chicken. Bake at 425 or grill 15-20 minutes and turn over. Sprinkle remaining rub over the other side and continue to bake or grill until juices run clear, approximately 15 minutes.

So, Until Tomorrow...........
S~~~

1 comment:

  1. YESSSSSS-- I am a list making fool. The first thing I should put on every list that I make is to take my list with me. What really makes me want to pull my hair out is when I make my grocery list to detail, and put my coupons with my list. When I get to the grocery store I seperate my list from my coupons in fear of dropping them. (Don't suggest the coupon holder. I almost always leave it at home.) Then when I get home, there they are. My coupons hidding in a seperate compartment in my purse. Talk about looking at old list. They usually end up in my purse too. I always look back at them to see what I missed or if I actually completed a list. Yes it does feel good to know you completed something even if you don't remember .....This is such a stressful fast running world we live in, it is a wonder if our minds work at all.--Have a great day.--Nonnie

    ReplyDelete