Wednesday, September 29, 2010

It's Pumpkin Time

Pumpkins.............., probably the best thing about fall!
I love to decorate with them, I love to cook with them, I love to see them out in the landscape.

Tonight I was cooking pumpkin. This rainy cool day was the perfect evening to make pumpkin bread. It's Wednesday so the guys are downstairs in the studio working and I knew they would appreciate some warm pumpkin bread with a vanilla spice glaze.
My pumpkin bread is similar to almost every other one you find on the internet. I have made many variations over the years but I have settled on this very simple recipe that has come together from several different sources.

I like it warm from the oven or lightly spread with butter and toasted for breakfast. A slice of pumpkin bread and a mug of hot tea does you good on these cool fall nights, or mornings if you are so inclined.

Pumpkin Bread w/ Vanilla Spice Glaze

2 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar - packed
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground clove

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter - melted
1 - 15 oz. can pumpkin (I only use Libby's - some store brands contain water)
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, granulated sugar and spices in a mixing bowl. In another mixing bowl whisk melted butter, pumpkin, eggs and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture. Stir until well combined, being careful to not overmix.

Divide batter between two loaf pans that have been prepared with soft butter and flour.
Bake at 350 approximately 50 minutes or until bread test done with a cake tester.
Remove from oven and cool in pans 10 minutes. Turn out on a wire rack.

Vanilla Spice Glaze

1 cup confectioners sugar
3 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice
pinch of salt

Stir until smooth and drizzle over slightly warm pumpkin bread.

So, Until Tomorrow.........
S~~~

2 comments:

  1. To me!! fall is the start of a new recipe season. The smell of new spices like ginger, nut meg, and cinnamon that has been pushed to the back of the spice rack during other seasons. And it always seems to bring out the best in you and your recipes. Thanks for sharing----Nonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right, Toni. Fall does change the way we cook. It brings us back in the kitchen and away from the grill. As much as it pains me to admit it,this is my favorite season to cook!!

    I walked into Fresh Market the other day and I was greeted with the scent of the cinnamon brooms they always stock this time of year. I just stopped in my tracks and enjoyed the moment.

    Happy Fall!!

    S~~~

    ReplyDelete