Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wednesday Night at the Taylor's

Most of you know that I don't cook supper on Wednesdays. By the time I get home from work the guys from SideStreet are downstairs in the studio hard at "work". I take snacks down and spend the night upstairs indulging myself with my guilty pleasure................., two hours of Reba and wine.
I love Reba, I am impossibly hooked. Where was I when this show was first run?

I grew up in the sixties and seventies when television was king. We got our first color TV in 1962, the Christmas I was six. I puzzled for months about how Santa Claus got it down our chimney. A huge console Zenith that took front and center in our den. I can still hear Daddy say "want to watch some T?". We checked the TV Guide every night to see which shows came on in color, on our 2 or 3 channels. Some of the first ones I remember are Hazel, The Beverly Hillbillies and Bonanza. As a young preteen shows like Love American Style, The Sonny and Cher Show and Laugh In consumed my TV watching time, all piled up in my bedroom with what we called the portable TV.
Later Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Kojak, Quincey, Mork and Mindy, Barney Miller and of course, we can't forget Welcome Back Cotter.
Along about the time Ronnie and I were married TV lost its appeal. There were a few things we watched but by and large we weren't addicted to television. Then the eighties brought along one of my favorite shows, Cagney and Lacey (don't forget I have my own Cagney {shih tzu} and Lacy {daughter}), as well as Dallas, Magnum P.I. Hart to Hart, Family Ties and In the Heat of the Night. We spend the nineties so busy raising our daughter and with Play by Play and Fantasy Travel so we hardly ever saw a television.
Then about two years ago we rediscovered TV. Lacy and Bashar talked us into Lost and the rest is history. Now we love Pawn Stars, American Pickers, NCIS, Lie to Me, Memphis Beat, American Idol, Top Shot (can't wait for season 2), High Stakes Poker, World Poker Tour and most of all Mad Men.

I guess we have come full circle, TV is once again a family event.

Let me know what you are watching, I sure would hate to be missing something!!

So, Until Tomorrow...........
S~~~

1 comment:

  1. Matt isn't much of a long movie guy. His favorite is the Food Channel and HGTV. But of course the previous channel button is always set to flip over to Mayberry RFD during channels. All the shows do bring back memories for us. But when folks mention old shows, why is it that very few people know anything about Family Affair. Buffy, Jody, Sissy, Uncle Bill and Mr. French. I wish I had my Misses Beasely doll back. She was sooo cool. Thanks for bringing back old memories.
    And by the way. Were you a fan of Hawaii 5 0,
    and did you know they are showing all the old reruns on the Slueth channel? Check it out!!! Toodles--Nonnie

    ReplyDelete