Friday, January 2, 2009

Friday - January 2, 2009

Happy second day of 2009. It was a gorgeous day in WNC, sunny and slightly cold, just exactly what you expect for early January. I never mind the colder temps on days I can hibernate. I go back to work on Monday after our winter hiatus and you can bet I will not be enjoying colder weather then!! I am truly a summer kind of girl, born in July.

Supper tonight is one of those easy meals, mostly from the freezer. I love making large quantities of our favorite dishes that freeze well for nights like this when I don't want to spend copious amounts of time in the kitchen.
Friday nights are great, the entire weekend is a blank canvas. Tonight I want to watch a movie I found in the cheapy bin at the WalMart, "Bobby".

Here is how supper is shaping up at the Taylor's.

Country Style Steak and Gravy
Julia's Squash Casserole*
Rice (for the gravy, of course, and maybe for breakfast too with milk and sugar, yum...)
English Peas
Biscuits (I can make biscuits, I just don't see why I should when Pillsbury does such a great job)
Hibiscus Tea

Julia's Squash Casserole

4-5 medium yellow squash
1 can cream of something soup (chicken, mushroom, celery or onion)
1 & 1/2 sleeve Ritz crackers ( I like the roasted veggie variety)
4 Tbsp. melted butter
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

Slice squash thinly and cook in salted water until tender. Drain well.
Combine soup, melted butter, sugar and salt & pepper with 3/4 of the crushed crackers. Fold in drained squash. Place in a buttered square casserole and top with remaining cracker crumbs and dot with butter.
Bake at 375 approximately 35 minutes or until golden brown.

Until tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment