Thursday, January 1, 2009

Welcome to Sunset Suppers

Thursday January 1, 2009

Thank you so much for joining me on the first day of my of blog.
I suppose it is a bit presumptuous of me to assume that anyone might really be reading these rambling lines but ...........

My goal is to post at least 5 days a week for the entire year of 2009.
In hopes of adding more variety and creativity to the supper table I will post what we are having each night, and will include recipes on occasion. Even the nights that I find it impossible to put a meal on the table and become the victim of fast food, I'll share. Inconsequential information might also make it's way into our visits. I will introduce you to my family as we go along. Sometimes my grammar may not be perfect, I am sure you will notice that I embrace that southern habit of ending sentences with prepositions, from which you will get no apology from me. So, I invite you to join me on this journey, post your comments, reviews, recipes, criticisms and your menus so that we may all learn from each other.




I can honestly say that I have had this New Years Day meal every January 1st that I can remember. The location and the guests might have changed a bit, but never the menu. Simple peasant fare to start the New Year has always been important to my slightly (in an ever so odd way) superstitious family. Especially this year as most everyone faces an uncertain economic future, the customs that are said to insure prosperity seem all the more important. Who am I to mess around with tradition?

While most people here in the WNC mountains serve collards, either streamed or fried cabbage is what what I have always known. Also, hog jowl seems to be popular with some families but somehow I can't make myself cook or eat something called hog jowl. I suppose this is a tad hypocritical since I would gladly eat on any given day fried livermush, but only our local brand, Hunter's.

Ronnie and I were fortunate to have shared our New Years supper with close family.
My Sister in Law - Karen, Brother in Law - Tommy and Nephew - Ryan

Menu for New Years Day 2009


Creamy Shrimp Spread with Roasted Vegetable Ritz
Sunset Mimosas

Roasted Pork Tenderloin*
BBQ Meatballs
Fried Cabbage
Black Eyed Peas
Hash brown Casserole
Baby Carrots
Cornbread

The BBQ meatballs & hash brown casserole were for those who for various reasons don't enjoy the more traditional meal.

The roasted pork tenderloin with carrots recipe comes from the wife of one of the owners of the family owned business I work for. They are kind and gracious enough every Christmas to invite the office staff into their beautiful home for a holiday luncheon. This pork tenderloin is a huge hit with everyone.

Sarah's Pork Tenderloin

1 - 1-2 lb. pork tenderloin
1 small bag baby carrots
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
2 Tbsp. water
2 tsp. dried rosemary

Place the pork tenderloin and carrots in a Reynolds cooking bag ( which has been prepared according to directions). Combine the maple syrup, cooking oil, water and rosemary in a small measuring cup, mix well and pour over the pork tenderloin and carrots in the cooking bag. Seal the bag and vent a couple of times with the tip of a knife.
Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes.

I wish for you and yours all the best of health, love, prosperity and peace in 2009.

Until tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment