Thursday, January 15, 2009

I Went To Target Today...............


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Yep, spent my lunch hour at the Target. That can be a dangerous thing to do, although today wasn't too bad. I came away with a quesadilla maker. Don't yell yet, I know exactly what Alton Brown says, never buy an appliance that only has one use, but......................., you never know.

I am a big quesadilla fan. I never order anything else at Mi Pueblito. There are a million different ways to make them, and hopefully I can come up with some creations of my own.

We have kinda been temporarily captive in our own home since Gibson's unfortunate tangle with what we believe to have been a coyote. He needs to be taken out about every three hours, so we don't venture far away. So, I will have fun this weekend playing with my new toy. I will post the results and some recipes too after I give it a test drive.

Now then, back to my adventures at the Target.........they have practically the entire store on sale!! I bought 2 silicone basting brushes with stainless steel handles for $1.29 on clearance and Tazo Passion Tea for $2.50 a box, (don't go to the River Hills location for this, I cleaned them out).

Not on sale, exactly, but I bought a bottle of Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc that was wonderful!!. The distributor was there ordering wine and I got to talking to him and he had great things to say about this one. I didn't feel that it was just a sales pitch, because I actually had chosen a more expensive Santa Margarita. Anyway, this was the second time that someone had mentioned this wine to me, so I felt I was destined to have a bottle. You know you can't mess with destiny.

Bottom line, it is definitely worth the $12 I paid.

One of my favorite wine sites www.cheapwineratings.com gives it a 90, which is pretty good.

This is what they have to say:
"The intensity in the nose is good and it is a highly tropical Sauvignon Blanc. Pineapple, honey, melon, pear and a hint of flint give this wine a wonderful bouquet. When I first opened the bottle, it didn’t have the vegetal characteristic that many SBs from New Zealand have, but after it opened up a distinct green pepper aroma came to the surface. The palate is flavorful, well balanced and just as exciting as the nose. It has lemon, pear, melon, apple and mineral flavors. The finish is fairly long and enjoyable. All told, this is a great Sauvignon Blanc at a decent price."

Supper at Casa Taylor tonight looked something like this:

Asian Pineapple Salmon*

Wild Rice

Roasted Broccoli

5 Flavor Pound Cake

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc


Asian Pineapple Salmon

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 water
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp. hot mustard
2 tsp. Asian chili paste
1/2 minced garlic
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes


1 -15 oz can pineapple tidbits - drained

Mix all ingredients and let stand for 20 minutes.

1 salmon fillet

1 Tbsp. olive oil

Place olive oil in pan and heat, add salmon and cook over medium heat 3 minutes. Pour sauce and pineapple over salmon and cook an additional 5-8 minutes minutes depending on the thickness of the fillet.

I know that sesame oil can be a tad expensive, for just 1/8 tsp. but it really does make a difference in Asian food. Just buy the smallest bottle you can find.

So, Until Tomorrow.........
S~~

No comments:

Post a Comment