Friday, February 27, 2009

I love Friday's. The weekend is but a clean slate in front of us. No major commitments, time to catch up and love life............
This Friday is especially good, a rainy day with a possibility of snow in the forecast.What more could we ask? Keep your fingers crossed!!

I am on a comfort food kick right now. I'm not sure if it is the cold weather or the economy, but either way, comfort has been on the menu more often than not at the Taylor house.
Back when I was first learning to cook, one of my "fancy" meals was beef stroganoff, from the handy dandy Betty Crocker cookbook. We reserved this for the days we didn't fix Hamburger Helper. I thought I was so sophisicated, (yeah, right, I am lucky to know how to spell that without spell check) ) after all, my parents never fixed beef stroganoff.

Do you remember an old country song from the 70s' called Luckenbach, Texas? Cahoots (the band Ronnie played in at the time) actually played that song.

"So baby let’s sell your diamond ring
Buy some boots and faded jeans and go away.
This coat and tie is choking me
In your high society you cry all day.
We’ve been so busy keeping up with the Jones
Four-car garage and we’re still building on.
Maybe it's time we got back to the basics of love."

I'm not interested in "keeping up with the Jones", and I most assuredly do not have a four car garage, but getting back to the basics seems important about now. Back to those days when I thought beef stroganoff was "fancy" instead of the comfort food I call it now........

So tonight looked something like this:

Classic Beef Stroganoff w/ Egg Noodles*
Sugar Glazed Carrots
Brussels Sprouts w/Bacon and Onions

Classic Beef Stroganoff
2 pounds beef sirloin, 1/2 inch thick, cut in 1/4 inch wide strips

1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
4 Tbsp. butter - divided
1 cup fresh mushrooms- thinly sliced
1 cup onions- chopped
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 cans beef consomme
1/2 tsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups sour cream (I like Daisy)
1 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet (optional, for a rich brown color to the sauce and a little added flavor)

Slice the sirloin and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown in 2 tbsp. of butter about 5 minutes. Add remaining butter, mushrooms, onions and garlic. Cook an additional 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, beef consomme, brown sugar and Dijon mustard. Cover and cook over low heat 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and Kitchen Bouquet. Return to heat and cook 5 additional minutes being sure to keep the heat low as the sour cream could curdle if the heat is too high. Serve over wide egg noodles and garnish with dried parsley.

I had a little help with the dishes from Cagney tonight after supper.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

So, Until Tomorrow..............
S~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment