Monday, March 2, 2009

Finally,........... ............we have snow, (thanks, Toni). It was so beautiful this afternoon with the sun sprinkling diamonds in the ice. I worked from home as our driveway was a sheet of ice this morning. Needless to say, it was a wonderful day. There are times when Ronnie and I wonder about the wisdom of having a wall of west facing glass, today was not one of them.


Certainly March came in like a lion and hopefully she will go out like a lamb. I would love an early spring. We had our first daffodil to bloom last Thursday, daffodils and tulips are favorites of mine, along with pansies, callas, hydrangeas and peonies.

It is well documented here that I am a summer kind of girl, but spring sure does come in a close second. Especially those first warm days, the air smells so good, no coats to contend with, the first warm spring rain........... I love it all!!

Now, regretfully back to winter.

Yesterday I cooked breakfast, which was unusual for me as I do not like food of any kind in the mornings as a rule. We had bacon, cheesy eggs, biscuits and gravy, with milk and grapefruit juice. So when it came time for lunch we weren't interested in the least. We had the quesadillas with guacamole and chips I had originally planned to have at lunch for supper.

Tonight I fixed a recipe from my mother-in-law, Barbara, a kind, gentle woman whom I loved dearly. Sadly, she passed away in 2001.

Swedish Meatballs*

Creamed Potatoes

Butter Beans

50s' Style Banana Pudding

Barbara's Swedish Meatballs

1 lb. ground chuck

1 cup Ritz cracker crumbs

2 egg yolks (reserve egg whites)

1/2 cup milk

1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

1 tsp. seasoning salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1 medium onion - chopped

1 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes

3 Tbsp. vegetable oil

2 cans golden mushroom soup

2 cups milk

1/2 cup water

Combine ground beef, cracker crumbs, egg yolks, 1/2 cup milk, onions, nutmeg, seasoning salt, and pepper. Roll into 1 inch balls, then dip in slightly beaten egg whites and roll in cornflake crumbs. Coat 9x13 inch baking pan with the vegetable oil. Place meatballs in the pan and bake at 375 degrees turning once for 30 minutes. Combine the golden mushroom soup with 2 cups milk and water. Pour over meatballs and return to the oven for 15 additional minutes.

So, Until Tomorrow........................

S~~~






No comments:

Post a Comment