Thursday, February 12, 2009

Romantic Food and Drink

With all the talk about Valentines Day coming up on Saturday I was thinking about "sexy" foods.

There is a restaurant in Asheville that used to have a dish on the menu called sexy mashed potatoes. Of course they were popular because everyone (myself included) wanted to know what sexy mashed potatoes were. Turns out they were simply mashed potatoes, in fact they were mashed potatoes with the peels left on. A practice I detest, I think it is just a lazy way to make mashed potatoes. It takes a lot of butter and cream to even think about mashed potatoes being sexy.

Anyway, back to foods that signal romance. Think back to the classic spaghetti scene from "Lady and the Tramp". While I don't necessarily think of spaghetti in those terms, there are a few obvious items that come to mind.

Chateaubriand (medium rare)
Lobster (w/ clarified butter, naturally)
Champagne (pink, of course)
Chocolates (sweet milk chocolate)
Asparagus w/ Hollandaise Sauce

My personal "sexy food" favorite is ...........................................................pizza.
I know, I know, there is nothing sexy about pizza to most people.
Pizza always reminds me of our first date, pepperoni, sausage and mushrooms on thin crust from Pizza Hut on Tunnel Road in Asheville . December 18th , 1976. Rod Stewart's Tonight's the Night playing over and over on the jukebox. I fell in love that very cold Saturday night.

Share your sexy food favorites, don't let me be the only one with a strange Valentines favorite.

Now on to the decidedly not sexy menu from the Taylor table tonight.

Baked Chicken and Rice Casserole
Corn Pudding*
Green Beans

Corn Pudding

1 can cream style corn (I prefer Del Monte)
1 tbsp. melted butter
2 eggs - slightly beaten
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients well and pour into a 1 1/2 qt. casserole dish which has been sprayed with Pam.
Bake at 375* for approximately 30 minutes or until slightly brown on top.

So, until tomorrow..............
S~~~

3 comments:

  1. LOL, We had Pizza at Pizza Hut , here in Marion on our first date too.Maybe that`s the secret to a good marriage.I, too feel in love that night, but I don`t remember any songs. I think I was so nervous, I was trying not to choke on the pizza. Yes, it`s still a pleasure to go out to Pizza Hut.Hard to be too romantic with a 10 yr old though.Valentines day is a day James does not celebrate.No worries though I go buy ME something. HE HE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Girl. Thats the way to handle it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, "Sunset Suppers" has been reviewed and added to Blogging Women.

    I am enjoying going through your blog and the wonderful recipes. Can't wait to try some!

    Thanks for sharing your blog with me and all the readers of our women's blog directory.

    ReplyDelete