Sunday, March 22, 2009

It's Springtime !!!!!!!!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I know the spring (vernal) equinox actually occurred on Friday but today was the first day it really seemed like spring to me. I spent Thursday and Friday piled up on the couch with some sort of a bronchial flu. I am just beginning to enjoy this beautiful time of year.

I love it all, the daffodils, the tulips, the yellow bells (forsythia) and the japonica, even the tiny bit of green grass we are beginning to see. I can't wait to smell fresh cut grass, although Ronnie assures me he is in no hurry whatsoever. We have a love of all things that grow, even a few weeds around the house that we think are to pretty to cut down. We are thrilled to have a few wild trillium that are just beginning to bloom, I will post a photo for you soon.

Yesterday we hung our hummingbird feeder. Last year we saw our first hummingbird on April 1st. Our finch feeder has been out for a while but so far no finches. We had lots last year, but I don't remember the date they came. I did see a beautiful blue bird yesterday morning. He was faster than me so no picture.

Tonight we celebrated spring by grilling on the deck.

Morning Glory Burgers (recipe February 10)
Chili and Cole Slaw
Baked Sweet Onions
Roasted Potatoes
Caramel Pecan Rolls*

This recipe is so easy it feels like cheating.

Caramel Pecan Rolls

1 - 11 oz. can of refrigerated bread sticks (Pillsbury)
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup whipping (heavy) cream
1 tsp. melted unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 tsp. salt
5 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. cinnamon

Mix brown sugar,whipping cream and butter in the bottom of an 8 inch round cake pan. Mix salt and pecans and sprinkle over top.
Unroll the bread sticks and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll back up and cut at peroration. Place on top of the brown sugar and cream mixture.
Bake at 350* approximately 25 minutes.
Invert into a serving plate and serve warm.

These are really good for breakfast too with a cold glass of milk, (or coffee I suppose).

So, Until tomorrow...........
S~~~

1 comment:

  1. I think that bush you're referring to as "japonica" is flowering quince. Check out this page to see if that is the same bush:

    http://www.beautifulgardenslandscaping.com/commonplantsgallery.htm

    Michael

    ReplyDelete