Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Monday on Tuesday

Today has been a Monday on a Tuesday. Need I say more?
I love having a long weekend, but the first day back is a killer every time.

Tonight brought a welcome surprise, the first lettuce and spring onions from the garden!!! I love having fresh vegetables.
This year we (I use that term loosely) planted carrots, green beans (greasy cut shorts), corn, red and yellow peppers, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, okra, radishes and cucumbers in addition to the lettuce and onions. Ronnie loves to play in the dirt, me not so much, but I do love to cook the treasures that all his hard work yields.

Supper tonight was fitting for a pseudo Monday, easy, but still really good.
I dressed the greens and sliced spring onions with a simple vinaigrette and sprinkled with some of Penzey's Florida Seasoned Pepper.

The baked pasta dish is very similar to a lasagna but much easier. The greatest part of the recipe is you don't have to pre-cook the pasta. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Baked Ziti

1 - 26 ounce can spaghetti sauce (I used Del Monte 4 Cheese)
1 - 16 ounce container sour cream
1 can beef consomme

1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. sugar
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (I used a mozzarella and provolone blend)

1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese - fresh - not the green shaker can kind
16 ounces ziti or penne

Preheat the oven to 400* degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the spaghetti sauce with the sour cream.
Stir in consomme, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, pepper and sugar.
Add 1 cup of mozzarella and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
Stir in the pasta and mix well. Pour into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, cover with foil, and bake for 1 hour.
Remove the baking dish from the oven, uncover and sprinkle with the remaining cheeses.
Return the dish to the oven without a cover and bake for 10 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted.


This makes a lot, so I halved it and froze one for an even easier meal on a night when time is short.

So, until tomorrow...............
S~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment