Monday, June 15, 2009

We All Scream For Ice Cream

Where did the weekend go? I intended to blog on Saturday then again on Sunday but somehow it just never happened.

What I did do was buy a new ice cream freezer. I have had one of the tabletop Cuisinart freezers for several years. In the move (almost 3 years ago now), I misplaced the cylinder that goes into the freezer. I finally broke down and replaced it after giving up hope of ever finding the missing part. I know, Murphy's law will probably kick in now and it will turn up downstairs in a stray tote.
Anyway, in preparation for Lacy and Bashar's visit next week we have a new ice cream maker. Ice cream is one of those things that makes everyone smile. Lacy quickly reminded me that many years ago (I'm talking probably 15 years) I had promised to make her cherry sherbet and for whatever forgotten reason failed to come through on my promise, so cherry sherbet will most assuredly be made.

I know everyone has made the sherbet using 1 - 2 litre bottle of soda (your choice) and one can of sweetened condensed milk. You can use whatever flavor to make the sherbet of your choice. Orange soda for orange sherbet, 7 up or Sprite for lemon lime, Cheerwine for cherry sherbet, peach soda for peach sherbet......................................

I am also interested in a recipe that I saw online. You can reduce the amounts using two of everything or even one of everything. Peaches may also be substituted for bananas, coconut could be added, the possibilities are endless.

Six Threes Ice Cream

3 cups sugar
3 cups cream
3 cups milk
3 bananas - mashed
3 oranges - juiced
3 lemons - juiced

In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and cream until sugar is dissolved. Mix in the milk, mashed bananas, and fruit juices.
Pour mixture into ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions, about 45 minutes.


Share your favorite homemade ice cream. I plan to try several this summer!!

So, until tomorrow........
S~~~

3 comments:

  1. Well, we try to save calories when we make homemade ice cream. Instead of all the rich ingredients we use a low fat milk shake base.
    Try this!!!

    Banana Split ice cream



    2 qrts of milk shake base, churn until the desired thickness.--------------

    Open ben and add 1/2 cup coconut
    1/2 cup chopped nuts ( of your choice)
    1/2 cup of whole or sliced cherries
    1/2 cup crushed pineapple
    1-1/2 cups of frozen bananas(I cut my bananas and froze them for 1 hour )
    churn for another 5 minutes to mix in fruit
    When ready to serve, swirl chocolate syurp, and or butterscotch syurp over the top. Add a layer of cool whip and put more cherries on top. Now, does that sound low fat? NOT a chance. Susan, if you calculate the calories in this ,please do not post, I am afraid to see the calories.
    We had few friends over sunday afternoon to watch some trick ultra lights putting on a show in a 200 acre pastor field behind our house. I think the ice cream just added more fun. It was a nice afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni:
    That sounds wonderful. Where do you buy milk shake base?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily, we have a friend that work's at Spakes Drive IN , in Sandy Mush. That is between Forest City and Chase area. I hope I am not stepping on my own toes by saying that she buys it for us. It is called milk shake base but it is what they actually pour in the machines for soft serve ice cream. So if you have a friend that works where they sell soft serve ice cream, then maybe they would be kind enough to sell you a 1/2 gallon to experiment with. My mom does this same run of ice cream but she starts with her old fashion recipe from years ago. NO base. Good luck.--Toni

    ReplyDelete