Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Father's Day Plans?

Father's Day is just days away. Do you have big plans? I will cook for Ronnie, Daddy and Eudy on Sunday. I'm still a bit unsure about my menu. Share yours and maybe I can steal your ideas.

While we are discussing Father's Day let me share with you my pet peeve. Who really calls their Daddy father? No one that I know. Just try to find a card that says Daddy. If by chance you do find one it will most likely be precious enough to have come from a 5 year old, not this 52 (at least for a few more days) year old southern girl who will always call her daddy Daddy, never dad or father. I would call him John first. Actually, Mother told me when I was little that I did call them John and Betty, go figure.............

Tonight I promised Ragan one of my favorite cookie recipes so I decided to share with you also.

Salty Oatmeal Cookies

1/2 cup vegetable shortening
one stick unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for sprinkling. (I always use kosher salt for the sprinkling)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups rolled oats (I like quick cooking oats - do not use instant, also Quaker Oats really do make a difference here)

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the shortening, butter and sugar until light. Beat in the egg. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda and stir into the sugar/shortening mixture. Mix in the vanilla and oats. Cover the bowl and chill the dough for 30 minutes.
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray two baking sheets.
Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll into small balls, flatten with the bottom of a glass. Lightly sprinkle the surface of the dough with salt.


Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they're just lightly colored at the edges. Remove them from the oven, let rest on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.

So, until tomorrow............
S~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment