Monday, July 13, 2009

The Dog Days of Summer

I am probably one of the few people who will admit to loving dog days.
The warm humid weather is perfect for me. Both Ronnie and I were born in dog days.
Last Friday, July 10th was my birthday and every single year, with the exception of only 2 that I can remember, it has rained at least a few drops. Now keep in mind that I am the girl that loves the rain. Mother and Daddy always remembered that it came a terrible thunder storm on the day I was born and the hospital (the old Marion General) went to generator power. Anyway, we always wait for the rain on my birthday, and we were not disappointed. On our way to dinner on Friday evening we got rain.

Also, dog days bring fresh vegetables from the garden. Tonight for the first time we will have enough green beans from the garden for supper. We have had lettuce, onions, squash, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes but now we have fresh green beans.

So, supper tonight is just vegetables, yum...............

Fresh Green Beans (greasy cuts shorts)
Greek Lemon Roasted Potatoes*
Squash Casserole
Cucumber Salad
Cornbread

Greek Lemon Roasted Potatoes

6 large potatoes cut into wedges, peeled or not, your preference

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice (more or less depending on taste, freshly squeezed is always best)
1 Tbsp. chicken bouillon dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 garlic cloves pressed (or garlic powder to taste)

Peel and cut potatoes. Place in a 9x13 pan, combine remaining ingredients and pour over potatoes stirring well to coat ever piece.Bake at 425 for 1 hour. Stir every 20 minutes or so.
Squeeze little more fresh lemon juice on for more flavor.


So, until tomorrow..................
S~~~

3 comments:

  1. Hope you had a really sweet birthday----Hope it came with lots of chocolate and rain.----
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy late birthday to the 'classiest lady" I`ve ever met. Love, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much!!
    My birthday was wonderful.
    Sharon, I hope you are feeling much better.
    Toni, rest assured I did have lots of chocolate and a little rain. Ragan was so sweet to bake Mother's Chocolate Fudge Cake for my birthday.
    S~~~

    ReplyDelete