Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Logan County Hamburgers

Tonight I am fixing Logan County hamburgers from Katie Lee Joel. (She recently became Billy Joel's Ex.) Lacy is fascinated with celebrities, me not so much. I think everyday people are much more interesting. Anyway, Lacy found this recipe and mentioned it to me.
I was intrigued because everybody loves hamburgers and grilled cheese sandwiches. What better than a combination of both?

Growing up it was not unusual for us to have hamburgers on plain white bread. Daddy fixed them that way often. I have always liked hamburgers prepared this way as I am not a big bread person. I always buy rolls, usually the big onion rolls, not sure why.
*Note** I am making one change to the recipe. I am rolling the ground beef very thin and cutting them square.

Logan County Hamburgers*
Grilled Corn
Fried Squash
Cucumbers and Onions (in vinegar, brown sugar, water and dill)
Sliced Cantaloupe


Logan County Hamburgers

1 lb lean ground beef
1 medium sweet onion, half grated (remaining half slice thin)
1 large egg - lightly beaten
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
12 slices white bread
12 slices American cheese
pickle (optional)
ketchup (optional)
mustard (optional)



In medium bowl, combine beef, grated onion, egg, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Form into 6 (4-inch) patties.
Spread 1/2 tsp. butter on one side of each bread slice - set aside.
Brown in a large heavy duty skillet over medium-high heat.
Cook burgers through, turning once.

Transfer to a plate-lined with paper towels.
Drain fat from skillet.
Add 3 bread slices, buttered side down, and layer each with 1 cheese slice, onion slice, burger, another cheese slice and bread, buttered side up.
Cook reducing to medium-low heat, turning once, until bread is golden brown, about 4 minutes.
Repeat to make 3 more sandwiches.
Serve with condiments, if desired.


So, until tomorrow.............
S~~~

1 comment:

  1. OK girl---Where you at? Not got over that birthday chcoclate yet? Letting you know that Aldi has another shipment of the beauty products in. I do agree with your friend. I love the mascara. I bought 4 tubes. Hopefully it will stay fresh. I heard you should store it in a dark cool place. Will try. Hello to Ronnie.

    ReplyDelete