Monday, July 20, 2009

Retro Recipes

Don't you just love recipes that remind you of growing up. Today I came across a a cake recipe that reminded me of my aunt Mary so much. She made this cake often when I was young. This got me to thinking about other recipes I associate with people.

Ronnie has a memory of his Grandmother Taylor making something she called "sweet bread". She had passed long before we were married so I never had this dessert, but try as I might to duplicate it I cannot. Apparently she was one of those wonderful cooks who never needed a recipe. From what I can gather from Ronnie and other family members this was a very simple, plain type cake that she baked in a single layer in a cast iron pan. He remembers it being a little crunchy around the edges. My sister in law, Karen, remembers that she sometimes made chocolate sweet bread as well. If by chance you had a grandmother that made "sweet bread" Ronnie would be forever grateful if you could share the recipe.

So, in memory of my Aunt Mary enjoy this wonderful cake.

Pistachio Cake

1 pkg. white or yellow cake mix
1 pkg. (4 serving size) pistachio instant pudding mix
3 eggs
1 c. club soda
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. chopped nuts

FROSTING:

1 1/2 c. cold milk

1 envelope Dream Whip
1 pkg. pistachio pudding mix

Combine all ingredients in large mixer bowl. Blend, then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool and frost.

For the Frosting:
Pour the milk into a deep bowl. Add the Dream Whip and the pistachio pudding mix. Beat slowly to blend. Gradually increase speed until mixture forms peaks. Spread on cake.


So, until tomorrow.................
S~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment