Monday, August 24, 2009

Decoration Day 2009

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I was born a Robinson, raised a Robinson and will always be proud to carry the Robinson name.

For at the last one hundred years or so the Robinson's have gathered near the South Toe River in Yancey County, N.C. on the fourth Sunday in August for what is known as "Decoration". Truly a decoration it is, families come the distance to not only decorate the graves of their loved ones but to celebrate their mountain heritage, and eagerly connect with family they haven't seen since last August. When you are a Robinson, (or married to one) this is how you spend the fourth Sunday in August.

My grandparents, Wilburn and Doskie Gragg Robinson had 6 children - Marvin, 1912, Lavada, 1914 - 2008, John (my Daddy) 1926, Dale, 1928-2001, Thelma 19xx and Hazel 19xx. ( I know the birth date of the youngest 2 girls but I won't post). Three of the four living children were in attendance, the fourth came to NC to attend but had an emergency and had to return to Georgia on Saturday. Six of the 12 living grandchildren attended.

After visiting the Robinson Cemetery we came back down Highway 80 to our families cabin for dinner. (Yes, remember it is breakfast, dinner and supper.) I could not begin to tell you how much food there was, as always it was an abundance.

I heard my cousin Catherine say that everything she brought was one of her Mother's recipes. I thought this was the greatest tribute to Mary Nell, her Mother, who to my knowledge never missed a decoration day as long as she lived. Not only was my Aunt Mary Nell a wonderful cook, but she was the keeper of the family history. She did a incredible job of documenting the Robinson family history for which I will always be grateful.

After dinner we continued on down Highway 80 to visit (and decorate) my Grandmother's grave. Oddly, my grandparents are buried in different cemeteries. My Grandfather is buried with his parents (Mitchell and Katy Robinson) at the Robinson Cemetery in Yancey County and my Grandmother is buried with her parents (William and Mary Simmons Gragg) in the Simmons Cemetery on Buck Creek Road in McDowell County.


The photo posted above is just a handful of us that made the pilgrimage on this fourth Sunday in August.

From my perspective, it was a perfect day.



So, until tomorrow..........

S~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment