Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Remember Me ???

I have been an unreliable blogger lately. I have a bunch of honest excuses, computer problems, lack of motivation, etc............................ but the real reason is that Ronnie and I had a few days off and I just needed a break from a computer for a bit. At work the lions share of my work is done in front of a computer and most nights I come home and bo up in front of the kitchen laptop. I was on computer overload.

Anyway, I am back and looking forward to transitioning back into fall cooking. Admittedly, fall isn't my favorite season, I always seem to think of it as the harbinger to winter, but fall foods are true comfort foods. Soups and stews, roasts, hearty pasta dishes, chicken and dumplings, prune cake and carrot cake are all dishes that I associate with the cooler temps.


I have a favor to ask of you. Have you tried the "Coon Hunters Cake" at Moon Doggies on the 5 lane in Marion? For those of you not from Marion, it is a simple yellow cake with a pineapple topping. Last week I tried to re-create this cake and I was close but not quite there yet. It is really good and I would love to make it at home if anyone has a recipe.


For supper tonight I tried a new recipe, zucchini lasagna. We really enjoyed it. Give it a try and let me know what you think.


Zucchini Lasagna*

Tossed Salad

Honey Wheat Bread



Zucchini Lasagna


2 1/2 cups zucchini- sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 2 -3 zucchini)
1 lb. ground chuck

1 small cup onion - chopped
1 - 6 oz.- can tomato paste

1 - 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 garlic clove - minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 egg - beaten
3/4 cup cottage cheese

1 cup mozzarella cheese - shredded (divided)

1 teaspoon flour


Cook zucchini until tender, drain and set aside. Brown ground beef with onions, drain. Add next 9 ingredients and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 10 minutes.


In small bowl slightly beat egg.
Add cottage cheese, half of shredded cheese and flour.
In (1 1/2-qt.) casserole arrange half of the meat mixture. Top with half of the zucchini and all the cottage cheese mixture. Top with remaining meat and zucchini.
Bake uncovered at 375 * for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer.
Let stand 10 minutes before serving.


So, until tomorrow...............

S~~~

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I remember you and missed you too, Now don't get too stressed, it's just a cool spell, you aren't gonna get 3 ft of snow this weekend. Glad yo are back---Nonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Toni.
    I truly appreciate you!!
    S~~

    ReplyDelete