Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Grocery Shopping

Where do you usually grocery shop? I would love to have Harris Teeter back. It was without a doubt my favorite grocery store, but about 20 years ago they decided Marion was not a profitable location and closed. So, that left us with Ingles and BiLo and a few years later Food Lion came along. I generally shop at the Ingles, I find the BiLo to be a bit more expensive and Food Lion to be much more expensive. My location of choice is Ingles in Black Mountain. Newer and much nicer than our Marion store, with the added convenience of being right off interstate as I drive home from work.

When we travel I make it a point to shop different grocery stores. When we visit Lacy I love to go to the Wegman's. It is a shopping experience par excellence. A toy store for cooks. When I traveled to Atlanta back in the old Fantasy Travel days I always tried to get to the Kroger. In Florida I like to hit Publix and Albertson's. I love the Piggly Wiggly in Charleston. Even on Edisto Island (hello Frances) the Piggly Wiggly is the place to see and be seen.
Then there is the high end selections, Fresh Market, Earthfare, Green Life, and in other areas Whole Foods. Do I need to tell you that I love all of these stores? Of course, last but far from least we have the Super WalMarts. I do like the grocery section in these stores, but the very best part of shopping here is that one stop does it all. Saves me time and perhaps a bit of money to boot.
Oh, oh I almost forgot, Aldi. I really do like Aldi, quality products, low prices, but limited selection.

Anyway, I said ALL that to say that this past weekend we shopped BiLo and I picked up some nice chicken breast halves for $0.99 a lb. So, supper tonight was:

Shredded Barbeque Chicken Sandwiches*
Barbeque Slaw
Bread and Butter Pickles (Aldi)
Parsley Potatoes

Shredded Barbeque Chicken

4 chicken breasts
4 cups water
1 bay leaf

1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. salt


Cook 6-8 hours on low heat in slow cooker. Cool chicken and remove skin and bones. Shred chicken and place in a 3 quart sauce pan.

Combine:
1 cup catsup

1 Tbsp. (heaping) grape jelly
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup water (or strained broth)

Pour over shredded chicken and heat through. Serve on toasted rolls with pickles and slaw.

So, until tomorrow...........
S~~~

5 comments:

  1. Haris Teeter was also my favorite grocery store. Our store closed about the time yours did. We do have one in Shelby, 20 minute drive, and I try to make it there once a month for special meat cuts and there WONDERFUL STANS Pimento Cheese Spread.
    Another store we miss so bad, is K-mart.
    But there is one in Shelby.
    When we go for a doctors visit, we usually take an ice chest so we can make our round of stops. First, doctor, the Harris Teeter, then K-mart, and then the biggie (Diary Queen).We love there burgers and onion rings with honey mustard. After we get our belly full then we travel home with the leftover of slivered ice in our drink cups. Dairy Queen has the master ice machine. I know this sounds boring. We need t get a life don't we? Take care and hello to Side Street----Toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pimento Cheese................ one of my very favorites. Have you tried Our Pride at Ingles?
    It is in the section where the cream cheese is instead of with the sandwich stuff. It is so close to homemade it could pass.
    S~~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! Our Pride is what we are buying now until we can get the Stans from Harris Teeter.
    We like pimento cheese on celery stalks.
    On another note!!! We have another New Member on the board at the Moose (Jason Suttle) He and Wayne does the booking together. Does Side Street have ANY openings? Just a thought.--------Toni

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a possibility that they may have an opening in October. They only play twice a month. Next year would be possible for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are going to try and go to the Moose tonight if Matthew still feels ok. He is doing better, but he has been through so much that he is still weak.
    I will mention a possible opening to Jason and Wayne and ask them if they would like for me to contact them. Also October will be a great month. Matthew and I will be celebrating our 31st wedding anniversary and I know as well as one for you and Ronnie. Wow, we are getting old as dirt. Have a great weekend.--Toni

    ReplyDelete