Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Cool Nights and Home Cooking

Supper last night was a variation of a recipe that has been around for quiet a while that everyone raves about from time to time online.
The Ingles had nice chuck roasts on sale, so I picked up a nice sized one on Sunday for a slow cooker meal this week. I love coming home to the smell of supper cooking. I seem to use my slow cooker more in the fall/winter months than spring/summer months for whatever reason.
Anyway, the original recipe simply has the seasoning packets and a 1/2 cup of water. While this is a good roast, last nights roast was wonderful. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Supper last night:
To Die For Beef Roast (modified)*
Creamed Potatoes
Carrots and Peas
Cole Slaw
Biscuits

To Die For Beef Roast (modified)

1 medium size beef roast
1 packet brown gravy mix
1 packet ranch dressing mix
1 packet Italian dressing mix
1 cup vegetable stock (Kitchen Basics - in a carton) may sub beef stock, broth or consomme
1 can beef consomme
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. rosemary
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1 large onion - sliced in 1/2 inch slices or wedges


Optional:

baby carrots
small potatoes
mushrooms

Add the onion and any other vegetable you use to the bottom of the crock pot. Place roast on top of vegetables.
Mix broth, consomme and red wine with seasoning packets, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, pepper and celery seed. Pour over roast.

Cook at medium heat 8 hours. I never worry too much about over cooking this roast. Mine has been in as long as 10 hours and it was fine.

So, until tomorrow........
S~~

3 comments:

  1. OK Kitchen expert!!! How can I be 100% sure that fresh mushrooms in the produce section are clean? I know where they grow. My brother lived near a mushroonm factory in PA. And since they are so dry, I don't know how to be sure. I have to be really careful with produce bacteria because of Matt's low immune system. He likes them raw on a salad. Got any helpful hints?--Thanks--Nonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Toni, I understand your dilemma. I never trust that mushrooms are clean. I know the pros all say to brush the mushrooms as they absorb liquid like a sponge. I can't go there, never have. I always rinse them and then wipe them all over with a paper towel. I never buy sliced mushrooms, always whole as they are easier to clean.
    I was watching Alton Brown (Good Eats)one night and he actually tested the amount of water the mushrooms absorb when they are rinsed and it barely registered.
    Hope this makes you feel better about using mushrooms.
    S~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks--I knew you would have an answer.
    -----Nonnie

    ReplyDelete