Thursday, September 17, 2009

September Seasoning

Ronnie is still on his fried chicken kick so supper last night was his choice.

Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Rice and Gravy
Dressing (Stovetop cornbread flavor)
Butter Beans

I cheated on the dressing by using Stovetop, cooked by package directions and adding a 1/2 can of Cream of Celery Soup, a small diced onion, extra sage and pepper. Then I turned it into a sprayed 8 inch baking pan and baked it for 20 minutes at 400*. Real homemade dressing is a hours long process in our family, so we only have it at Thanksgiving.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I posted the pumpkin pecan bars earlier in the week and failed to mention my recipe for pumpkin pie spice. My family loves anything pumpkin, so, long about this time every year I start looking for different ways to fix this gorgeous fruit. While, I am not fond of the store bought pumpkin pie spice, somehow it always seems bland to me, I am a fan of the convenience of having this blended spice on my shelf. This particular blend contains all those spices that I love in the fall. It is a touch heavier on the nutmeg, which is a favorite of mine. I just mix up a double batch early in September and have it handy throughout the upcoming holiday season. If I haven't mentioned Penzey's spices lately, now is a great time, www.penzeys.com.


Pumpkin Pie Spice

8 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 tsp.ground ginger
2 tsp. ground cloves
2 tsp. ground nutmeg

1 tsp. ground ginger
Combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container.


So, until tomorrow..........
S~~

No comments:

Post a Comment