Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Thankgiving, A Little Late.................

It has been a tad bit busy around the Sunset Suppers table lately. I have been caught up in the whirlwind of Thanksgiving festivities , we hosted 16 at our house and all went well. Having Lacy and Bashar home with us for a couple of weeks (they will be back for New Years Eve, YEA.....) and trying to get a start on the Christmas shopping, ordering, writing Christmas cards and planning our annual Christmas Party has kept me in a dead run. Oh and did I mention that the 5th season of LOST just came out on DVD?

Picking back up from my Thanksgiving day post.............................
After dinner I was too exhausted to even look at my laptop, so I hopped on the Friday after Thanksgiving for the promised menu post. Literally as I typed, I received a call about my uncle. He had what appears to have been a mini stroke. (He has had two previous serious strokes). After a mad dash across town I arrived just ahead of the EMS. To make a very, very, very long story short, his son, my cousin Brently (whom I am as close to as a brother) was thankfully home from Orlando for the holiday and made the very sad decision to move his Daddy to assisted living. Even though it was the proper decision, hands down, it has been a difficult couple of weeks.

I have actually been doing a lot of cooking, just nothing inspired. It was so much fun cooking for Bashar. He enjoys everything !! We even served him soup beans, fried livermush (Hunter's, of course, I would NEVER touch any other livermush) and cornbread one night which he loved. He did look at Lacy a bit strange when she added butter, mayonnaise and catsup to her soup beans and cornbread. He had never had soup beans or livermush before. A bit of culture shock I suppose.
Just in case we have anyone here that doesn't know about Hunter's Livermush, check out this YouTube link to Marion's own Livermush Festival. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd4TmJ9-p6s&feature=related

Not that it seems important at this late date but..................., here is the promised Taylor 2009 Thanksgiving menu:

Salt Brined and Herb Roasted Turkey
Butter Herb Turkey Breast
Robinson Family Dressing
Creamed Potatoes
Turkey Cream Gravy
Broccoli Casserole
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Oriental Cole Slaw
Tiny Green Peas
Butter Beans
Deviled Eggs
Pickled Beets
Mandarin Orange Cranberry Salad
Parker House Rolls
Traditional Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Cream Pie

As I have said, ad nasuem, I am sure, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. We were surrounded by both sides of our family. Life is good.....................

So, until tomorrow.............
S~~~

1 comment:

  1. Hi Susan--I figured the milk carton thing would do it. You are back and I was anxious to read your post as I was having coffee this morning. Will add your uncle to our prayer warriors list. ---Nonnie

    ReplyDelete