Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Winter Blues

The winter blues is coming on with a vengeance.........................., I'm cold through and through. I could stay indoors until spring without a complaint, except that I thankfully have a job.
Our office got all the way up to a balmy 60 degrees today, burrrrrrrr.

This weather makes me want hot bathes, warm pajamas, good books, soup, hot tea and cocoa. Atlanta Bread Company has a Butternut Squash Soup on their menu right now that is beyond TDF. I have never made anything with butternut squash, but I am thinking it is in my future this weekend.
I found this recipe on Allrecipes that sounds wonderful. Perhaps I will need to use at least low fat cream cheese, use butter in place of margarine (no margarine to be found here) and maybe sub chicken stock for the water and bouillon cubes, but other than that I will keep it as written.

Butternut Squash Soup

6 Tbsp. chopped onion
4 Tbsp. margarine
6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
3 cups water
4 cubes chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/8 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese



In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil.


If soup is in your future maybe give this one a try and we will compare notes.

So, Until Tomorrow............
S~~~

1 comment:

  1. And you talked about giving it up. I see you have a couple of new folowers. You go girl.---Nonnie

    ReplyDelete