Monday, January 11, 2010

Elvis and Banana Sandwiches

Elvis Presley - January 8, 1935 - August 16, 1977

All this talk about Elvis's birthday has me thinking about banana sandwiches. After all, he did make the the banana and peanut butter sandwich popular. I'm not really thinking about the banana and peanut butter sandwiches though, I am thinking of banana and mayonnaise sandwiches on what else but white bread as soft as cotton candy.

I am always amazed when I run into someone who has never had a banana sandwich. My son-in-law, Bashar, just looked at me as if I spoke in German when I asked him if he had ever had one. My sister-in-law, Karen, doesn't eat banana and mayonnaise (she isn't mayo friendly), but loves the banana and peanut butter. Ronnie loves his banana sandwiches with a side of potato chips and french onion dip. I am a purist, just a banana sandwich on a plate with a glass of cold milk works wonders for me.

I was raised to slice my bananas in half and then lengths, Ronnie slices his in rounds. Either way
banana sandwiches are a little slice of heaven on white bread.

Now, back to Elvis..........
August 1977 my family and I had the opportunity to see Elvis at the Asheville Civic Center. As thrilling as it was to see a legend live in concert, it was twice as much fun to see him with my little Grandmother, who just happened to be his biggest fan and a charter member of his fan club!! It was the greatest moment of her life.

In memory of the king, share your Elvis memories and banana sandwich secrets with us, come on, I know you have some.

So, until tomorrow.............
S~~~

2 comments:

  1. Just yesterday for lunch, I had a banana sandwich with mayo and a glass of milk, but hold on to your seat, I like black pepper on my banana sandwich. I know. Yuck. But I love it. To each his own---Nonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black Pepper ???? Ummmmmm...........I shall give it a try. Pepper never hurts anything.

    ReplyDelete