Wednesday, May 26, 2010

We Are A Cole Slaw Family

We are a cole slaw family for the most part. Ragan and I love it, Ronnie likes it and Lacy loves certain kinds, such as cole slaw with bleu cheese or cilantro added. There are a few foods that I cannot eat without having cole slaw on the side. Fried fish, soup beans, meatloaf and beef roast to name a few. Daddy makes the worlds best cole slaw, hands down. He shreds his cabbage with a box grater, adds carrots, mayo (he uses Dukes, this is where we part company, I am a Kraft girl), vinegar, a pinch of sugar and salt and pepper. He never measures and it is the same Cole Slaw everytime. Crisp, creamy and just right.
One night while Lacy was home I had bought cole slaw at Golden Fried and her comment was "why didn't you get John (that is what she calls her granddaddy) to make us some slaw?"

That said.......... I was cruising the internet last night and being the Bobby Flay fan that I am I was excited to see this recipe. With Memorial Day picnics coming up I thought you just might want to try it. I know I will.


Bobby Flay’s Smoked Chile Cole Slaw

1/2 cup Hellmann's® (you know I will use Kraft Light)
2 Tbsp. chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 tsp. honey
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt

1/2 tsp. black pepper (or to taste)
1 medium head green cabbage, finely shredded
2 large carrots, finely shredded
1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Combine Hellmanns® Real Mayonnaise, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, lime juice, honey and cumin in large bowl. Season, if desired, with salt and black pepper. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 20 minutes before serving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since I needed to be out of the kitchen quickly last night (American Idol, go Crystal) we did pizzas on the grill. Yummmmmmmmmm
I bought the small pizza crust so we could have a bit more variety. The one that I thought was best was of course the most simple.

Goat Cheese and Basil Pizzas

Per 6 inch Pizza Crust

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 tsp. dry oregano
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes (or more)
pinch of Kosher salt
pinch of pepper

Stir and let sit for 10 minutes.
Brush on pizza crust.
Top with:

2 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese (the green can stuff)
2 Tbsp. mozzarella cheese
goat cheese crumbles - I didn't measure but I would guess 4 Tbsp.
very thinly sliced sweet onions - to your taste
a few sliced mushrooms
10 basil leaves

Ours grilled for 10 minutes and they were perfect. We have a Holland grill that only cooks with indirect heat so yours may cook quicker. Oops, I almost forgot, Ronnie put a few very thin slices of tomato on his. With tomatoes coming in a few weeks from now this will be great.

Tonight is Wednesday so no supper here tonight.

So, until tomorrow..........
S~~~

5 comments:

  1. Hi Susan----The peanut butter puffs are a recipe that was found somewhere on the internet by a friendly 86 year old neighbor on the hill. She still loves cooking and the internet too. Now how cool is that?

    NOW--Are we the only ones using this blog thing? Where is everyone? Maybe you should e-mail them and let them know you are back. --

    -Soooo sorry for Crystal last night. But I heard later that Lee won only by 2 %. That was pretty close. I think Crystal will be ok now if she works at it. Wasn't it awesome that she and Lee got to sing with Joe Cocker? Gave me cold chills----- Gotta get to work--
    Toodles---Nonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Toni~

    I love it - 86 and internet savvy, I want to be like that, heck, I just hope to make it 86.

    You are right about the readership. It is truly my fault for being gone so long.
    If it doesn't pick up soon I might send out an email. It just seems sorta desperate, like please, please read my blog.

    I was so disappointed about the outcome of AI last night. I was voting for Crystal on Wed. and hitting redial on my phone. The message I had been receiving was "thank you for voting for contestant # 2", which was correct. On about the 10th call I heard "thank you for voting for contestant # 1. Then Lacy heard somewhere that it was happening the other way around too, so who knows.
    Anyway, it was a great show. I agree Joe Cocker hasn't lost a thing, he was great. He did look at bit like Fred Sanford though.My very favorite was Chicago, that are amazing. We saw them a couple of years ago at Biltmore and it was the best concert I have ever seen.

    Thanks much for commenting, I appreciate more than you know.

    S~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok---it must be said, there is only one other way to enjoy Chicago, and that is when side street plays it---Nonnie

    I will also share something with you that you have probably wondered about and people are starting to question me--about the name Nonnie

    That is a nickamne that Matt gave me many years ago and I never really thought anything about it. Until he was really sick for about 3 years as you know. While he was so sick I didn't realize that he stopped calling me that. It was always Toni. But as he got better, one day I heard him call Nonnie for something and it ran cold chills down my back. He has been doing much better for over a year now and I cherish the sound when he calls Nonnie--It's a really deep caring, loving feeling that comes over me and I just use it as much as I can. Life is shorter than we want it to be and we need to cherish all the little things that makes us smile. What makes you smile?---Nonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ps---you made mention--The 86 year old lady that is still internet savvy---Well my mom is 81 and she is wanting to go to a Huey Lewis concert. Now what do I do? I know-- I know--take her to the concert.---Wish me luck...
    Nonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a hoot. What a great Mother Daughter night that could shape up to be.
    Share all the details!!
    S~~

    ReplyDelete