Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Soltice and Father's Day

The first day of summer!!!!! The longest day of the year.
After that very long, torturous winter I am looking forward to every moment of summer 2010.

Yesterday was Father's Day and I had the incredible luck of being surrounded by three fabulous fathers. My Daddy, as you know, I am certain he hung the moon, my uncle who has always been there for me, and my amazing husband, whom I become more thankful for everyday, the daddy to our daughter.

I wanted their day to be as special as they are to me, so I focused our Father's Day Supper on foods that I knew were their favorites. As I was puzzling over some foods that they would all enjoy, I happened to think of blueberries. All three of them are very fond of them, so I made a blueberry lemon tea. It turned out to be a favorite. It was also gorgeous in the glass. I wish I would have had made a photo to share, but it disappeared quickly. I used frozen blueberries but fresh would probably be even better.

Lemon Blueberry Ice Tea

16 oz. frozen blueberries (or 2 cups fresh)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tea bags
1 cup sugar
water

Bring blueberries and lemon juice to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes. Pour into a stainer over your tea pitcher. Press with the back of a cooking spoon to crush all berries and make sure you get as much juice as possible. Make tea as usual for 1 gallon. (I use 3 family size bags and 1 cup sugar.) Once the tea has steeped pour it through what is left of the berries in the strainer to make sure you get all that blueberry goodness. Add sugar and fill 1 gallon pitcher with water. Stir and enjoy.

The rest of our supper went like this:

Shrimp Cocktail
Guava Lime Frosties (more on this in a future post)

Espresso Roasted Tenderloin of Beef
Potatoes Au Gratin
3 Bean Baked Beans
Tossed Salad w/ Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
Honey Wheat Bread w/ Roasted Garlic Butter
Key Lime Pie
Lemon Blueberry Ice Tea

So, Until Tomorrow................
S~~~

1 comment:

  1. ooops! anybody heard from Susan. Is she on leave again? Check the milk cartons. Have a good week.--Nonnie

    ReplyDelete