Thursday, September 23, 2010

Craving Pimento Cheese

Today has been busy, busy. My day off got an early start when Ronnie accidentally set off the alarm at 5:15 am. Have I mentioned lately that I am not a morning person? Not the way I planned to start my day. I had visions of orange juice in bed with at least an hour with my book and then maybe, just maybe, another quick little nap. Finally, leisurely rising around 10:00 am.
Yeah, that really was a dream, wasn't it?

A couple a weeks ago I managed to break my glasses, (long story), so I spent a good part of today taking care of getting new ones; with a tad of clothes shopping thrown in for good measure. This threw me later getting home than I would have liked so we decided to grab a bite at the Harvest. The Harvest is a Marion institution. It's the kind of place we all flocked to in high school. The menu is exactly what you expect; double barrel burgers, hot dogs, chipped ham sandwiches, BBQ, clubs, spaghetti, onion rings and the best hushpuppies in town. The best part is you sit in a booth and order via telephone, way too cool!

As I was deciding what to have at the Harvest I had a crazy craving for a pimento cheese sandwich. Not one from any restaurant, but good old homemade pimento cheese. Being Southern to the core, I, of course, have my own recipe, so do you, I am certain, so please, please, share with us. You can't ever have too many pimento cheese recipes. Nothing in the grocery store touches homemade. Our pimento cheese is more creamy, but you can make it with grated sharp cheddar (don't use the pre-grated in a bag), and you will have more texture. Either is really good, but I prefer the creamy style.

So, a quick trip to Ingle's is on my agenda for tomorrow for sure.

Southern Pimento Cheese

3 oz. whipped cream cheese - softened
3/4 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. celery salt - or to taste
dash cayenne pepper - or to taste
1/2 tsp. sugar
3/4 cup mayonnaise (for me, it is always Kraft Light )
8 oz. Velveeta cheese - cubed
2 oz jar pimentos - well drained

Process in food processor with the steel blade, softened cream cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, cayenne, sugar, mayonnaise and Velveeta until creamy. Stir in pimentos by hand. Scrap into a glass dish (never use plastic here) and cover. Refrigerate at least 4 hours. Indulge........

Note: I use my food processor to mix the ingredients but a mixer would just work as well.

Enjoy on toasted white bread with lettuce, grilled like a grilled cheese sandwich, on baked potatoes, on hamburgers, a dollop on top of tomato soup, on crackers, or just by the spoonful.

So, Until Tomorrow............
S~~~

2 comments:

  1. I think I will have that pimento cheese on celery. Sounds great. Susan---Just wanted to let you know how happy I am that you are back. I sure hope others enjoy and appreciate the time that you put into sharing the south in so many ways as much as I do. You are always stirring up old memories.----Memories do last forever---Nonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni~
    Thank so much, you are a dear.
    Your kind words are much appreciated.

    Have you tried the pimento cheese at Smith Drug Store in Forest City? It was voted one of the top 100 foods in NC, representing Rutherford County by Our State magazine.
    Lacy-Jay and I were there antique shopping(actually, Lacy was antique shopping and I was art glass shopping.......anyway)and we stopped for lunch and had the grilled pimento cheese. It was very good. Of course, we have never seen pimento cheese we didn't love.

    Thanks Again!
    S~~

    ReplyDelete