Monday, October 18, 2010

It's Apple Time

Apples and fall go hand in hand. Apple pie, apple turnovers, fried apple pies, cooked apples with pork tenderloin and of course, apple dumplings. Did you know that there are over 7500 varieties of apples and that apples are grown in all 50 states?

I was caught in traffic on Old Fort mountain last week for 3+ hours (overturned transfer truck) and a gentleman in one of the cars in front of me got out and rummaged through his back seat and came up with beautiful red apple. Wow, did that ever look good! Made me long to be the overly prepared person that keeps a snack in the car, just in case.

Anyway........................, I love cooking with apples. My mother in law used to bake apples by coring them and putting butter, brown sugar and cinnamon in the center. So simple and so good. This is a recipe I found a couple of years ago and almost didn't try because I hate Mountain Dew. I could have missed out on a great simple dessert. Hope you enjoy!

Autumn Apple Dumplings
.
2 large apples, peeled and cored ( I used 3 smaller Galas to equal 16 wedges)
2 (10 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent roll dough
1 cup butter
1 - 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (I only used 1 cup as my apples were sweet)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
pinch of salt
12 oz. (1 1/2 cup) Mountain Dew

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 or 9x12 inch baking dish with Pam.
Cut each apple in 8 wedges. Separate crescent rolls in triangles. Roll each apple wedge in a triangle, starting at the smallest end. Pinch edges to seal. Place in a baking dish. Melt butter in a small sauce pan, add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir to dissolve sugar. Pour butter mixture and Mountain Dew over apple dumplings. Bake 35-45 minutes or until golden brown.
**Original recipe calls for Granny Smith Apples**

So, Until Tomorrow...........
S~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment