Saturday, November 6, 2010

Soup Time

It is chilly outside, a beautiful sunshiny day, but oh so chilly. Cold weather always has me looking through my folders for soup recipes.
As much as I like to eat out, I love to come home from work on a cold night and know that I am in for the night. Change into my play clothes and relax for the very first time that day.
S0, Friday I planned soup for supper with the cold weather in mind. French Onion is Ronnie's favorite soup but time did not allow so I made the next best thing, Creamy Onion Soup. Roast beef, avocado and provolone on Everything Thins rounded out this early November supper.

Creamy Onion Soup

3 medium sweet onions
4 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. pepper

4 cups chicken stock (Kitchen Basics)
1 cup vegetable stock

2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. cold milk
1 packet Lipton Cream of Chicken Soup mix

11/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar
4 Tbsp. shredded Parmesan
1 tsp. season salt (I like Morton's Natures Seasoning)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

Slice onions very thin. Melt butter in a 4 quart stock pot. Add onions and cook over medium heat until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Add chicken stock and vegetable stock. Simmer 15 minutes. Mix cornstarch and milk until smooth. Add to onions and stock. Sprinkle in cream of chicken soup mix. Stir until smooth. Return to boil and cook 2 minutes or until soup begins to thicken.
Add heavy cream and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses until they are melted and the soup is smooth. Add season salt, nutmeg and cayenne. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.

Ladle into soup bowls and serve with Parmesan crisps or Better Cheddar crackers.

So, Until Tomorrow............,
S~~~

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm....that sounds so good! And easy...and good! I'll have to give this one a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Misa ~
    It is one of my very favorites, but honestly I could have soup everyday and never get tired of it!
    S~~

    ReplyDelete