Sunday, November 7, 2010

Frozen Pizza for Supper

Where has the extra hour gone? Guess we slept it away. We had a few errands to run and a couple of Netflixs (I love The Closer) to catch up on and bam, Sunday has disappeared. I say that as an excuse to say supper tonight was Totino's cheese pizzas. Should I be embarrassed to admit that? Not in the least. Totino's are the only frozen pizzas I eat and they are cheap too. I really don't even dress them up, simply add a few chopped onions and a sprinkle of pepper and call it supper. Ronnie likes to add pickled banana peppers to his at the table.

I did manage to add a fresh apple crisp to the menu. All the beautiful apples in the grocery store called out to me. We like a crisp that doesn't have oatmeal best. Certainly you could sub oats for part of the flour in the recipe and make it a tad healthier to boot. Need I even mention that a scoop of cinnamon or vanilla ice cream on top would be perfect? And/or a drizzle of caramel sauce?

Autumn Apple Crisp

6 medium size apples (I used Galas)

2 Tbsp. lemon juice (bottled is fine)
1 1/2 cup cold water

1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup melted unsalted butter

Combine lemon juice and and water in a mixing bowl. Peel and dice apples into the lemon water mixture. Drain well and place apples in a 9 inch deep dish pie plate that has been sprayed with pan release or buttered.
Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt well in a medium size mixing bowl. Add vanilla and melted butter. Stir until crumbly. Spread topping evenly over apples.
Bake at 375 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.

So, Until Tomorrow................,
S~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment