Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Thanksgiving Anyone ?

Have you finalized your Thanksgiving menu yet? I have, but really, it pretty much stays the same year after year. I sometimes vary the recipe for the turkey a bit and no one seems to mind. Last year I brined the bird and I was positively thrilled with the results, so I am most definitely repeating that process. It is not overly time consuming, but simply a matter of planning ahead. The brine last year was very simple with not a lot going on flavor wise, it just produced the moistest turkey I have ever roasted. This year I am changing the recipe up, looking for more flavor, and plan to use Alton Brown's brining solution. I have read rave reviews and can't wait to taste the turkey. The only change I plan to make is to use half butter and half canola oil to coat the turkey and perhaps sprinkle with some rosemary.

I wanted to get ahead of the game and post the recipe so you would have plenty of time to plan, should you choose to brine. I can promise you will not go back once you step over. The results are amazing.

Oh, oh, oh, I almost forgot to add. The Williams Sonoma brining bags are a life saver here. They take up far less room in the refrigerator than a bucket and I think they are easier to handle.

Good Eats Roast Turkey

Ingredients

1 (14 to 16 pound) frozen young turkey

For the brine
:

1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar - packed
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice berries
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped candied ginger
1 gallon heavily iced water

For the aromatics
:

* 1 red apple, sliced
* 1/2 onion, sliced
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 1 cup water
* 4 sprigs rosemary
* 6 leaves sage
* Canola oil

Directions

2 to 3 days before roasting:

Begin thawing the turkey in the refrigerator or in a cooler kept at 38 degrees F.

Combine the vegetable stock, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, allspice berries, and candied ginger in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve solids and bring to a boil. Then remove the brine from the heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate.

The night before you'd like to eat:

Combine the brine, water and ice in the 5-gallon bucket. Place the thawed turkey (with innards removed) breast side down in brine. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure it is fully immersed, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area for 8 to 16 hours, turning the bird once half way through brining.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Remove the bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard the brine.

Place the bird on roasting rack inside a half sheet pan and pat dry with paper towels.

Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick, and 1 cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Add steeped aromatics to the turkey's cavity along with the rosemary and sage. Tuck the wings underneath the bird and coat the skin liberally with canola oil.

Roast the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F for 30 minutes. Insert a probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Set the thermometer alarm (if available) to 161 degrees F. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Let the turkey rest, loosely covered with foil or a large mixing bowl for 15 minutes before carving.

So, Until Tomorrow.........,
S~~~

1 comment:

  1. Even that I love turkey anything, moist, dry, on bread, in a casserole, just what ever, I have never cooked a turkey in my home, or ham or steak. We eat lot's of veggies and salads. Oh, we aren't perfect by any means. We get into the hamburger thing around here. But Matt has never cared much about other meats. Especially turkey or chicken. So to all of your friends at Sunset Suppers, save the white meat leftovers and I will pick them up.
    What I am looking for (if anyone would be so kind to share) is a recipe for good candid yams. Not overly sweet with a good buttery taste and layered with pecans. The best I have ever had was at Boulineau's in Cherry Grove. My Mom always does the yams for the holiday's, but my sister's and I have decided to try and take some of the load off her as she needs 2 knee replacements. So I would like to blow everyones mind with the yams.
    Would appreciate your help. --Nonnie
    mtmferguson@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete