Friday, November 12, 2010

Candied Yams for Toni

In response to Toni's comment about candied yams, I am probably the wrong person to answer but, of course that never stops me. Sorry..........

I remember my great grandmother used to make candied sweet potatoes in an iron skillet by slicing the sweet potatoes and layering with white sugar. I think they cooked for quite a while on the stove top with her adding a little bit of water along. I wish I remembered more about this because I really liked them fixed this way when I was small.

I am not a big fan of the yams topped with marshmallows. If I have marshmallows I want them in s'mores or hot chocolate. Baked sweet potatoes with a dab of butter and some cinnamon sugar are a common dessert at our house, but sweet potatoes or yams do not appear on our Thanksgiving table.

A few months back I saved this recipe thinking to make it this fall, maybe this weekend I will.

Sweet Potatoes Praline

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp. melted butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
6 medium yams cooked, peeled and quartered

Place sugar, cream, butter, pecans, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in heavy saucepan. Stir over low heat until ingredients are blended and thick and syrupy. Pour over hot yams in serving dish.

So, Until Tomorrow.........
S~~~

1 comment:

  1. OK girl. I trust you and it sounds like you found the buttery and layered pecans recipe that I was looking for. I will tell the family, compilments of Susan---Thanks--Nonnie

    ReplyDelete