Monday, November 15, 2010

Monday Night Fish Tacos

Supper tonight was one of those super easy meals that makes it okay to cheat sometimes. By cheating I mean, a recipe where you can use the forever made fun of fish sticks. Yep, I said frozen fish sticks.I would say cheap fish sticks but amazingly the fish sticks cost more than the chuck roast I bought for tomorrow night. Now to be perfectly honest, they have changed a bit from the mystery fish that we had in the school cafeteria in the 60's and 70's. The Mrs. Paul's that I buy are actually good, made from whole flounder fillets.
That said, the crowning glory to this humble little taco is the cilantro cole slaw. I am told that there is a small segment of the population somewhere that does not like cilantro, I don't know any of those people so I go a little heavy handed on the it because we love the flavor. To me it is a clean, herby, fresh taste, to those that hate it I hear it tastes like dish soap. So, on the off chance that you don't eat cilantro, feel free to leave it out or even substitute parsley.

For dessert I am playing around with the sacred pumpkin pie. I saw this Pumpkin Rum Pie last year and wanted to try it but time got away from me so I am getting an early start this year. The tablespoon of rum seems like a complimentary ingredient. At least it makes it interesting enough for me to give it a try. Even if this is the most wonderful pumpkin pie we have ever tasted I will of course make the traditional Libby's Pumpkin Pie recipe on Thanksgiving Day. I think it is some kind of a law or something..........

Easy Fish Tacos with Cilantro Cole Slaw*

Baked Tortilla Chips

Guacamole

Salsa

Roasted and Salted Sweet Potatoes Rounds w/ Garlic

Pumpkin Rum Pie*


Easy Fish Tacos with Cilantro Cole Slaw

4 package frozen crispy fish sticks

1 package - 8-inch flour tortillas

1 bag cole slaw mix

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (or more)

1 green onion, diced (green part too)

1 tsp. chopped jalapeno pepper (optional)

1 Tbsp. mayonnaise or sour cream

1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice

1/2 tsp. sugar

1/4 tsp. cumin

salt and pepper, to taste

Bake fish sticks according to package directions.Wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and place them in the oven to heat.Or heat them in the microwave by package directions.

In a medium bowl, combine the cabbage mix (I chop mine up a bit finer with a round cutter) with all the remaining ingredients. Place about 3-4 fish sticks into a hot tortilla and top with with lots of cole slaw.

We usually add more finely chopped onions and a dab of sour cream mixed with a tiny bit of taco sauce on top.

Pumpkin Rum Pie

3 large eggs

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup Karo corn syrup

1-1/2 cup heavy cream (try not to substitute)

1-1/2 cup canned pumpkin (1 - 15-ounce can)

1 Tbsp. dark rum (optional)

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. ground ginger

1/2 tsp. nutmeg


1 - prepared pie crust


Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place crust in pan and prick with fork.

Bake pie shell about 8 minutes or until very, very lightly browned. Allow to cool.

Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Whisk the eggs and brown sugar in a large bowl. Whisk in the Karo syrup. Stir in the heavy cream, pumpkin and rum. Add the salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg and whisk until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared pie shell. Bake until the filling is set, 50-60 minutes.

Makes 1 - 9-inch deep dish pie.

So, Until Tomorrow..........

S~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment