Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....................

I love the snow and it seems that the last few winters we have only been teased by messy snows that complicated travel. I want a snow that leaves no doubt as to the impossibility of my driving. Snow that covers everything, a winter wonderland, so pristine that we don't see the bleakness of January. So keep your fingers crossed and maybe we will see more that just a few flurries.

There are certain foods that just go well with cold and snowy weather. Hot chocolate, chili, spaghetti, soups, chicken and dumplings, oyster stew and beef stew to name only a few. Comfort foods to get us through the cold days. For me weather influences menu selection in a big way. I have files for winter, summer, fall and spring recipes. Post your comments and let me know what foods you enjoy in the winter.

Tonight's menu reflects the slight chance of snow in the forecast.

Frances's Baked Spaghetti*

(This isn't the exact recipe that my friend and former co-worker, Frances, gave me. I actually lost the one she shared. I call it Frances's because it is similar to hers and I always think of her when I make it. Frances, if you are out there we miss you!!)

Chopped Salad with dried cranberries, blue cheese and cranberry balsamic vinaigrette

(I usually think that store bought dressings are a big waste since you can make your own in minutes plus they are much, much better, the exception is the Maple Grove Vinaigrette. They are fat free and delicious, both the cranberry and the raspberry).

Quick and Easy Garlic Rolls

Frances's Baked Spaghetti

1- 8 oz. pkg. of thin spaghetti - cooked al dente and drained

1-15 oz. carton ricotta cheese

1 cup milk

2 eggs - well beaten

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1/2 tsp. kosher salt

1 tsp. course ground pepper

1 cup Parmesan Cheese

1 - qt. spaghetti sauce
(I use my homemade sauce I keep in the freezer, jarred sauce may be substituted)

2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

Cook spaghetti al dente and drain. Add ricotta cheese to hot pasta.
Combine milk, eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg and pour over pasta and ricotta mixture. Mix well.
Pour into a prepared 9x13 inch pan. Layer Parmesan cheese, spaghetti sauce and sharp cheddar. Cover tightly with foil. I spray the side touching the cheese lightly with Pam before covering.

Bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes or until lightly brown and bubbly.

Remember THINK SNOW!!!

Until tomorrow

S~~

1 comment:

  1. I am a January baby (old goat) only 1 year younger than you, but have a 10yr old July daughter so YES-SNOW! SNOW! SNOW! Monica is bugging me about when, it`s time for a GOOD one like you described.

    ReplyDelete