Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Rainy Days and Tuesdays Rarely Get Me Down

I love the rain. A warm January rain, just my kind of day, well almost. The perfect rainy day would be to stay home and cuddle up with my book with Sissy or Cagney (or both) on my lap and drink hot chocolate. In my dreams.........

From the what I did today pages: I left work at 11:00 a.m. to get my nails done. I thought on a rain soaked Tuesday I could just breeze in and out. Well, of course that was not to be. I sat and waited 25 minutes. As I waited I kept thinking I need to take these acrylics off and stop this. I always dread going to have them done, the boredom is killer here. This coming from a gal who prides herself on NEVER being bored. Then there is the little fact that I am spending $50 a month having my nails done. I'm not really sure in this economy I can justify that luxury. Hmmmm, maybe I am my Daddy's daughter after all. Anyway, skipping to the chase, I walked out and went to get supplies to remove the acrylics. I think I can still remember how to do my own nails, maybe. I will let you know if I find myself back in the nail salon later this week.

Supper tonight is another one of those meals that I grew up eating. My Daddy did most of the day to day cooking in our house, Mother baked (she was an incredible baker actually) and cooked on Sundays. Daddy will be 83 on Saturday and he is still cooking and I am still learning from him!! My cole slaw, cornbread or gravy will never touch his. So, with a few minor modifications of my own I will share one of Daddy's recipes with you today.

So supper tonight looks like this:

Salmon Croquettes*

Wild Rice

Green Beans

Cole Slaw

Rene Barbier Mediterranean White
(a good grocery store white recommended by my co-worker and friend Lynn Grabey. When Lynn makes a wine suggestion, I listen. She has lived all over Europe and has had opportunity to enjoy great wines)

Salmon Croquettes

1 - 15 oz. can of pink salmon ( I always look for the kind that is skinless and boneless, otherwise you have to take out all the skin and bones, yuck!)

1 egg - lightly beaten

12 saltine crackers - crushed ( you may need more at the end to get the right consistency)

1 small onion - chopped

1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 Tbsp. mayonnaise

1 Tbsp. ketchup

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. lemon pepper

1/2 tsp. baking soda

Mix well and shape into patties. These may be baked at 375 for approximately 20 minutes or pan fried at this point. Be careful if you pan fry, they burn easily.


Until tomorrow

S~~~











1 comment:

  1. Oh, I can remember my mom making this.Thanks for the recipe. I e-mailed to a friend, who loves salmon. Lisa is also an Italian, vegan, no meats, just fish.Hope I can intice her here.She`s a great gormet cook.Although, she is s soooo busy.

    ReplyDelete