Friday, January 23, 2009

National Pie Day

Can you believe it? Today is National Pie Day!!!! When I first saw that news item this morning I knew I needed to bake a pie!!I love pies of all kind. My great Grandmother and Mother used to make a sweet potato pie (really a cobbler, but they never called it that), with sliced sweet potatoes in a deep dish casserole. I didn't have a recipe, only a memory.
I improvised for sure as my great Grandmother never heard of and my Mother never used the refrigerated Pillsbury crust. So many sweet potato pies are similar in taste and texture to pumpkin, but this is completely different. Ronnie loves sweet potatoes so this pie was most definitely a hit.

What are your favorite pies? My list goes something like this, in no particular order:

Pumpkin
Coconut Cream
Lemon Cream
Butterscotch
Milk Chocolate Cream
Cherry Cobbler
Peach Cobbler
Egg Custard
Peanut Butter
Sweet Potato

Post your comments and your list, I would love to know what your favorites are.

To round out National Pie Day I decided homemade pizza (pie) was in order for supper tonight.

Pizza with Turkey Pepperoni, Brown Sugar Ham (on my half only), Onions, Green Peppers, Mushrooms and Extra Cheese

Sweet Potato Cobbler*

Sweet Potato Pie (Cobbler)
1 - pkg. Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust (2 crusts)
3 - medium sweet potatoes - peeled and sliced
3/4 - cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 - tsp. nutmeg
1 3/4 cups milk or cream (divided)
1/4 stick butter - slice into thin pieces

Peel sweet potatoes and slice in 1/4 inch slices. Place in a sauce pan and cover with water, adding a little salt, cook over medium high heat until slightly tender. Drain well. Using a deep pan cover bottom of pan with one crust. Cut to fit bottom only loosely. Mix together sugar, cornstarch and nutmeg. Layer one layer of sweet potatoes, 1/2 of the sugar mixture and 1/2 cup milk, and 1/2 butter slices, and pieces of pie crust left over from where you trimmed the first crust. Make 2 layers. You may not have enough extra crust for both layers but that is ok. Cover with the second crust. Bake a 400 approximately 45 minutes or until golden on top. Remove from oven and immediately cut top crust into pie, add the remaining 3/4 cup milk. Let stand 15 minutes at least. Enjoy!

So, Until Tomorrow.........
S~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment