Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Brand Name Girl Discovers Aldi

Remember my post about brand name snobs? Well, I think I am a recovering brand name snob.
Truthfully, there are a few I refuse to give up. Among those are Bounty Towels, Welch's Grape Jelly Horizon Organic Milk and of course, Diet Coke.

Aldi has been around for a while. I knew about it, I even went in a time or two. Daddy and Florence have shopped there on a regular basis for years, Ragan has discovered an all new love of cooking that Aldi fits into nicely. I held out thinking Aldi was something like Go Grocery. I truly dislike Go Grocery, it is dirty and smelly. Unlike Go Grocery Aldi primarily stocks their own brands.

I reluctantly decided to do some research and see what Aldi was all about. I quickly discovered that Aldi and Trader Joe's are owned by the same company. Hummmmmmm, I love Trader Joe's. I stock up every time we visit Lacy and Bashar. Next I found a site that reviewed Aldi products.
I made some notes and took off to Aldi.

First, you need a quarter. You put your quarter in the buggy to release it. When you return it you get your quarter back. OK, that works for me. No loose buggies dinging my car.
The store is small, no frills but very clean.

Some of the items I purchased are:

Fresh Sweet Corn - 4 ears $1.49
Fresh Pineapple $1.49
Deli Style Sliced Swiss Cheese $1.99
8 oz. Whipped Cream Cheese $1.29
64 oz. 100% White Grape Juice $2.29
100 oz. HE Laundry Detergent $6.99
6 oz. Tomato Paste $ .39
8 oz Tomato Sauce $ .25
Limes (6) $ .99
4 oz. Sliced Mushrooms $ .55
Roasted Vegetable Crackers $1.69
Onion Soup Mix $ .69
24 oz. Salsa $1.49
Lemons (6) $1.49
Envelope Taco Seasoning $ .33
Avocados $ .99

These are the items that I have tried so far. I would purchase every single one again. In fact, I would go so far as to say some are actually better than the name brand.
The fresh corn was the very best we have had all year.
There are a few brand names available also.

You will need to either bring bags or purchase them there. Large plastic bags are ten cents and paper bags are six cents.

All of our surrounding towns have Aldi, Asheville has two, Morganton, Lenior and Forest City have one each. Hopefully, Marion will have one soon.

Let us know if you are an Aldi devotee. What do you buy? What will you not buy again?

So, until tomorrow...............
S~~~

4 comments:

  1. Finally-you are breaking away from the all name brand items and have found out you can save money too. I knew you could do it. I mostly buy their fruit. Fresh and canned. Much cheaper. I will never buy their canned green beans or asparagus again. Very tough and lot's of stems.
    Susan--always remember/ NEVER NEVER try to change your husband from A-1 steak sauce to the store brand. That is grounds for divorce. Trust me. Ronnie won't like it.
    By the way. My mom buys her milk at Aldi. Did you know yo can freeze milk. I don't know how people do it. My cow looks so sad when I get it out of the freezer. HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right about the fruit. I haven't bought any of the canned fruit but the lemons and limes were very reasonable.
    Freezing milk is a great tip I have never thought of. This would come in handy when you are away from home for a few days.
    Poor baby cow...............
    S~~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. You won't find a better deal on grape tomatoes (although they don't seem to last long), cauliflower (just make sure to look it over well), eggs, cottage cheese or sirloin steak. All are just as good as those from the grocery store.
    My sister, sweet and kind though she is, doesn't have any spendthrift in her. For that reason, we'll have to forgive her for not mentioning you can get boxes at Aldi to pack your groceries in for free. Gosh, our Daddy would absolutely DIE if he thought Susan was paying a dime for bags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No comment, other than we won't be telling Daddy that I buy bags. His heart couldn't take it.

    S~~

    ReplyDelete